The Magick Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Magick Circle

This site contains discussions of Occult, Magick and Esoteric study, it includes but is not limited to: Magick, Spellcraft, Witchcraft, Alchemy, Paranormal, Shamanism, Metaphysics, ESP, Astral Projection, Astrology, Theosophy, New Age, Divination, Tarot,

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inChatter
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Grand Grimoire (Red Dragon):

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stacey/Cirrius
Admin
Admin
Stacey/Cirrius

The Grand Grimoire (Red Dragon): Empty
PostSubject: The Grand Grimoire (Red Dragon):   The Grand Grimoire (Red Dragon): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 5:14 pm

This text was published without a date, though Waite suggests that it is about the same age as the Grimoirium Verum. The work is introduced: “The Grand Grimoire, with the Powerful Calvicle of Solomon and of Black Magic; or the Infernal Devices of the Great Agrippa for the Discovery of all Hidden Treasures and the Subjugation of every Denomination of Spirits, together with an Abridgment of all the Magical Arts.”

This is, perhaps, the most well known of “black” grimoires- appearing even in Hollywood next to the Key of Solomon the King. Like the Grimoirium Verum, the Grand Grimoire probably has an Italian origin or influence, as indicated by the name of its editor Antonio Venitiana del Rabina. The book itself is attributed to Solomon and depicts his summoning and binding of the demonic Prime Minister Lucifuge Rofocale, who thenceforth became rather popular among occult authors (such as Eliphas Levi).

What perhaps makes this book so famous (or infamous) is the fact that it deals specifically with making pacts with devils. Other texts, such as Goetia and Abramelin, do not work through pacts at all, and the latter example expressly forbids such action. Meanwhile the Grand Grimoire instructs one to make a conditional pact with Lucifuge:

It is my wish to make a pact with thee, so as to obtain wealth at thy hands immediately, failing which I will torment thee by the potent words of the Clavicle.
The written document to be signed by Lucifuge reads as follows:

I promise the grand Lucifuge to reward him in twenty years’ time for all treasures he may give me. In witness whereof I have signed myself. N.N.
After some dickering, further conditions are added by Lucifuge:

Leave me to my rest, and I will confer upon thee the nearest treasure, on condition that thou dost set apart for me one coin on the first Monday of each month, and dost not call me oftener than once a week, to wit, between ten at night and two in the morning. Take up thy pact; I have signed it. Fail in thy promise, and thou shalt be mine at the end of twenty years.
The Grand Grimoire then proceeds to communicate Solomon’s instructions for the making of a pact. E.M. Butler writes that this is the only complete “and perfect” outline of such a pact of which she is aware (though she does make mention of the similar Faustian ritual). The form of the pact in the Grand Grimoire is deliberately evasive- supposing that the mage is “getting one over” on the demonic forces.

For those who are interested in the darker side of the grimoires, I must recommend Ritual Magic and The Fortunes of Faust, both by Elizabeth Butler. She is an expert in what is known as the “Faustian” tradition- a Germanic phenomenon based upon the mythos of Faust and his dealings with Satan. A. E. Waite also gives portions of the texts of the above two (and other) grimoires in his Book of Ceremonial Magic.
Back to top Go down
http://cirrius-teachings.webs.com

The Grand Grimoire (Red Dragon):
Page 1 of 1